Monday, April 14, 2008

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Don't ask, don't tell. That is the unspoken rule of ACT scores. I have discovered through conversation in the last year that it is not proper to discuss ACT scores in polite conversation. People get tense, defensive and quiet. I do not understand why.
Perhaps this is because I don't think it's that important. Sure, your college future can be swayed by it. But in life, it's just another number, like your weight. It does not define you. I do not think the ACT defines real intelligence. Some of the strongest, smartest, kindest people I know simply cannot score well on the ACT. I also know brilliant, funny, nice people who scored very well on their first try. I don't see the difference between these people. The trick to the ACT: good guessing.

No comments: